HISTORIC IRISH CASTLE AND GATE LODGE LOCATED ONLY 1 HOUR FROM DUBLIN!
Coldwell Banker Previews Ireland present to the market a fantastic opportunity to acquire an Historic Castle set in 12.1 ha (c. 30 acres). Knockabbey Castle extends from the main castle to the landscaped gardens through to the newly renovated chapel, function rooms and beyond. The property offers tremendous potential for use, not only as a private residence but indeed as an exclusive hotel location for weddings, tour groups and for private functions.
Knockabbey Castle was originally built in 1399. The house was further extended in 1650 with a six bay, three storey Queen Anne extension and remodelled again in 1754 by the new owner Thomas Tenison. The property was rebuilt in 1925 and was owned by the O`Reilly family until 1998. The present owner has invested considerably in restoring the house and gardens to the highest standards. The three distinct eras, during which the property underwent modifications, are reflected in the historical characteristics of the property.
The castle is entered via The Tower House into an Entrance hall with vaulted ceiling, stone flagged floor, fireplace with wood burning stove. This entrance hall also leads into the inner staircase hall, to the Queen Anne hall and also to the stone spiral tower staircase. The Interpretive room with it`s own bathroom and the Museum room and adjoining bathroom are found on the first and second floors of the tower house. These rooms can be returned to bedroom use at any point.
The Gothic section of the house is immediately behind the main hall and the impressive Staircase hall has quarry tiled floor, galleried staircase, and an ornate stained glass roof light. The spacious Kitchen is off this hall with built in kitchen units, French oak floor, AGA cooker, Belfast sink. The Family room has open stone fireplace, oak floor, corniced ceiling, double doors to lawn and dining room. The Dining room has a stone fireplace, french oak floor, corniced ceiling, door to lawn. On the first floor there are four spacious bedrooms, all with en suite bathrooms. The Master bedroom has its own dressing room and the en suite has a roll top bath.
The Queen Anne section of the house has a spacious Staircase hall, with a fine Drawing room, which has walnut floor, pitch pine columns, and white marble fireplace. The original 1860`s Kitchen is show cased and beyond there is a Bar /studio room. There are also Ladies and Gents WC on the ground floor. On the first floor there is a Billiards room, Library area with panelled walls and the Thai bedroom. On the second floor, there are three further bedrooms and a main bathroom.
The castle benefits from being set well off the country road while equally enjoying fine views over the stunning gardens. Although the house impresses by its grandeur, it very much feels like a home. The rooms are bright, well proportioned and are a showcase of different architectural styles. Throughout the houses, there have exquisite features, such as the ornate cornicing, vaulting ceilings, the grand chimney pieces, and original panelled doors and wide staircases. The impressive reception rooms are perfectly proportioned rooms for entertaining and family living.
The gardens are a particular feature of the property and since 1998 have undergone major restoration with the aid of the Great Gardens of Ireland Restoration Fund. They contain some of the most important historical water features in the country. These water gardens were originally started as early as the 11th Century by monks from the local abbey. They are surrounded by mature woodland with pathways and foot bridges. A newly constructed Victorian style glass house sits amongst the Victorian flower garden. There is an array of magnificent specimen trees and the tulip tree is one of the largest and finest in Ireland. Beyond the castle terrace, there is a double herbaceous border and lawns leading to the newly planted wild flower meadow.
As you walk through this magical garden you will come across a stone built Victorian Tea House, a stone built Fern house and the octagonal gazebo.
• Fully restored courtyard which now houses an Audio Visual room and an original tack room at ground level with a spacious one bedroom apartment at first floor level.
• Second courtyard to the rear with further two storey stone buildings in need of renovation.
• Utility yard hidden off the main avenue with a modern 6 span barn, new car park. Space for 3 buses and 30 cars in an already designated area.
• Gate lodge located mid way up the avenue newly constructed in 2002 as an exact replica of a former lodge.
Viewing by appointment only
To view please contact Coldwell Banker Commercial on 01 411 0012